Thursday, December 8, 2011

It's the same old song...

Well, groovers, we are going to go way back to 1965 for the soundtrack to this blog post and hit you with one of that era’s classics.

Here is The Four Tops singing It’s The Same Old Song.

Ok so upon reading the actual lyrics of that song, I see that it is actually about a girl leaving a guy and leaving him with nothing but their favourite song. At least it wasn’t a medical condition that required topical cream and a course of antibiotics.

The song doesn’t, in fact, have that much to do with an Australian woman who is seven months pregnant, trying in vain to come up with new topics for her weekly blog and being quite surprised that she is feeling so consistently well...hence the sameness of the song she is merrily singing in her head.

Not that there is a song about pregnancy that I am singing per se, and no one wants to hear me sing, but...oh, Nirvana’s second studio album.

Oh, how I wish I could complain and make these posts interesting! Haha.

I feel freaking fantastic and even moreso with lots of people telling me that. Such reinforcement.

I feel like Nigella Lawson. I am huge, but people are loving it and flattering my fattening left, right and centre!

Sure I am tired, almost like the first trimester, and sure I have a sore back...but who cares when people are paying you compliments?

I saw the midwife today – I am seeing my doc, a midwife or hospital nurse every fortnight from here on in.

The heartbeat was 146, the lowest so far, but perfectly fine; and my blood pressure was 110 over 70 (just in case you were thinking of asking).

She said the tightening I had been feeling may be Braxton Hicks (what?), and I just thought they were the baby pushing her little body out against my belly.

I had three things to ask her. The first was my quite irrational fear of the bay being choked by the umbilical cord.

She moves a lot and for the first 10 seconds, I smile. I love it. Then that bloody annoying receptor in my brain goes haywire: she’s moving a lot, therefore the chances of her getting tangled are greater. Quick, worry, panic!

The midwife, of course, could not completely reassure me. Yes it happens, no she hasn’t seen it happen, unless in actual labour, at which point monitoring would pick it up.

Clearly, I just have to deal with that and try not to waste so much time worrying about it.

Secondly I asked about whooping cough. Apparently where I live in Queensland, whooping cough is “rife”, she said. Weirdly enough, it is also a region with one of the lowest rates of whooping cough immunisation.

T and I have been talking about quarantining our baby for the first six weeks. We are asking family who will be visiting to get immunised and now trying to deal with what we will do if neighbours or others randomly pop in during those first six weeks.

Clearly, after today, I am not taking any chances. You want to see the baby and you aren’t immunised? I will hold her up at the front window. Otherwise, it’s not long to wait.

I am guessing those six weeks will be a complete and utter blur anyway, so I am not going to be desperate to take her shopping on day five anyway.

And the third question was about the Vitamin K and Hepatitis B vaccines they ask parents for permission to give newborns in hospital. I am pretty sure J had Vitamin K, but the Hep B was a new one.

Part of me does worry about putting these things in a pure, new body, but a greater part of me worries more about the alternative of not doing it.

So we have agreed to tick yes to both.

No comments:

Post a Comment